Friday, September 25, 2009

Steps ( my 12 Step Program)

Early stages of the quilting process. Spread out on the floor to admire and measure Many of my friends do not understand what it is I do with my quilting machine. I thought I could explain it in pictures.

A client, who loves quilts as much as i do, comes to my door with their adorable, pieced, almost done quilt top. (see above) They also come to my door with the backing and batting or can buy batting from me if they prefer.
I then load the 3layers on "Lola" my long arm. (She is long and lean, approx 14ft, and takes up lots of space).

I then search my brain for a way to quilt it so that it can remain adorable. Thread color, design and density of the quilting are involved in this search process .

Lola is oiled and lubricated very routinely to keep her running smoothly. After switching the "ON" button I give her 30 minutes to warm up. I take a breath,place my thumb on a little black button on the handle and, "we're off and running"
On my next blog this "cutie" will be quilted and ready for binding.

No comments: